Against a Landscape Architect or Unlicensed Individual

The following information is intended to inform consumers of the procedure for filing a complaint with the Landscape Architects Technical Committee (LATC) against a person who is violating the Landscape Architects Practice Act, the LATC’s process in reviewing and investigating those complaints, and to provide some general information about the types of alternative actions which are available to the LATC. If you have further questions regarding how to file a complaint or the complaint process, please contact the LATC.

The LATC addresses violations of the Landscape Architects Practice Act, whether the individual is licensed or unlicensed. The LATC is under the purview of the California Architects Board (Board) which has the authority to investigate and take administrative disciplinary action against licensed and unlicensed individuals for violations of the Landscape Architects Practice Act.

The primary purpose and highest priority for LATC is the protection of the public. The purpose of an LATC investigation is not to obtain restitution, and an LATC investigation does not guarantee complainants will receive restitution. Consumers whose primary goal is to recover financial restitution from a landscape architect, or an unlicensed individual, should consider pursuing damages through the courts.

The Board has the authority, with sufficient proof, to suspend, or revoke, the license of a landscape architect who fails to satisfy final judgments that are substantially related to the practice of landscape architecture. The LATC investigates complaints of violations of the Landscape Architects Practice Act, such as fraud, deceit, misrepresentation, negligence, incompetence, breach of contract, failure to use a written contract, aiding and abetting, violating the Rules of Professional Conduct, and practicing without a license. Enforcement actions include, but are not limited to, suspending licenses, revoking licenses, placing licensees on probation, issuing administrative citations, and referring the matter to the district attorney for criminal prosecution.

Small Claims Court

The LATC does not assist in restitution to complainants.

If your primary interest is to gain restitution, you should pursue the matter in small claims court or consult with an attorney. If you are considering legal action to recover damages of $10,000 or less, please refer to the Department of Consumer Affairs’ The Small Claims Court: A Guide to its Practical Use.

In addition, you can visit the California Courts Self-Help Guide on small claims for additional information and assistance or self-help information. If your damages are more than $10,000, you should consult with an attorney.